20 idyllic beach getaways - Hikkaduwa, Sri LankaWith its political woes apparently easing, Sri Lanka’s efforts to become known as a tourism hotspot rather than a terrorism hotbed are no doubt aided by its world-class surf spots.
Surf Mecca Hikkaduwa, one of Sri Lanka’s most popular beach destinations, has close to a dozen reef breaks that stop short of being life-threatening, and plenty of sea corals to keep snorkelers happy.
To complete the Asian getaway experience, Hikkaduwa has sumptuously spicy local fare and Buddhist cultural spectacles for vacationers to write home about.
- 20 idyllic beach getaways - Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
- 10 of the best golfing getaways - For old-school golfing: Royal Colombo Golf Club
- 10 of Asia's can't-miss colonial hotels - Galle Face, Sri Lanka
- Unseen Asia: 25 of Asia's most overlooked destinations - Haputale, Sri Lanka
- 52 Weekends: Go somewhere different every week - June 25 - 27: Sri Lanka's inland empire
- Sorry Santa, December isn't all about you - December 1: Unduvap full moon poya (Sri Lanka)
- Love & Other catastrophes - 'Do you take this woman ... and her incredibly filthy Tevas?'