Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sri Lanka Tourism Another update - Bernard Cribbins's heaven on earth: Sri Lanka

Bernard Cribbins loves Sri Lanka for its superb weather, great food and welcoming people. 

My wife and I had a marvelous holiday in Sri Lanka. A friend had raved about it; we went – and had the time of our lives. 

Our pal suggested we base ourselves at a guesthouse near Mount Levinia, near Colombo, which was very comfortable, but if you have deep pockets, the somewhat swankier Mount Lavinia Hotel (0094 11 271 1711; www.mountlaviniahotel.com) – home to the colonial-style Governor's restaurant – might be to your liking.

One of the first things we did was to visit Polonnaruwa, where you'll find the Gal Vihara, which has a shrine to the four images of the Buddha, carved into the face of a granite rock.

 We also travelled to Yala National Park, at the southern end of the island, which was quite an experience. We saw a leopard walk across the road in front of our jeep and then we turned a corner to see the large backside of an elephant walking away from us 20 yards ahead.

My wife and I were holding our breath as the driver followed him slowly at a short distance. And then suddenly this bloody great thing whipped around as quick as a cat and charged, coming to a stop 10 feet in front of us. It frightened the life out of us and the animal's eyes seemed to say: "You don't follow me – you go the other way!" Then he turned around and went off.

Afterward our driver said to us with a smile: "If you want, I can get him to do it again."

My wife replied gently but firmly: "Thanks, but no thanks."

The country's wildlife is extraordinary, and we also saw peacocks and other jungle birds with the most extraordinary colouring.

I also loved the Sri Lankan food – all that fragrant curry, none of which was too hot. I'd recommend the curried seer fish. The fruit was amazing, too.

We spent a month on the island and it's probably the best holiday I've ever had: the weather was superb, the food great and the people so welcoming. A word of warning, though. One night there was a great electrical storm – which I watched from outdoors. When I got back inside, I discovered I'd been unlucky enough to be bitten 83 times (I counted), so take some mosquito repellent!


source - http://www.telegraph.co.uk

No comments: